Hit the play button..and enjoy my hear-me-outs !

Missy Higgins - Warm Whispers

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Oh Kimchi, you're creeping up on me!

It's not the end of my trip in Korea yet, but I have to write this (and the fact that I'm on a 3.5hr bus journey from Donghae to Seoul with nothing much to do☺️). Generally, Koreans are kind and friendly people! Here's why:

1) We were given candies by some strangers, twice so far! Once when I was on a train & holding a Lonely Planet - Korea in my hand. Another while we were taking panorama photos on Ulleung Island. Candies sure put smiles on our faces. 😄

2) It's the first time that I find language barrier very hard to deal with. Nevertheless, Koreans still want to help us! So sign language (and iTranslator app) is handy at desperate times. 😂

3) Our Gangneung accomodation host (from Airbnb) assisted us in finding ferry and accomodation on Ulleung Island. We did not make bookings because based on my research in the internet, the island has plenty of space for visitors and May is not a peak season yet. Most said no bookings needed! We were not aware that the weekend we planned for the Ulleung-Do trip is a Korean long weekend, and locals flock to Ulleung-Do like nobody's business. So she made calls here and there to get details and made arrangements. Now we are safely back from Ulleung-Do.😃. In the brief travel hiatus that we were in, my good Korean friend Lenny also helped out. So yay!

4) Hafizah & I were the only 'species' on the the remote island Ulleung. So we did get stares from top to bottom, but when we smile and bow, they smiled back. Most will ask where we are from in Korean language. I kind of understand their question already. And quickly answered 'Malaysia'. 😁 

5) Two young Korean girls we met at the Attack Camp hostel in Ulleung-Do gladly let us follow them explore the island together. They are very friendly and gave us many presents. By 'presents' I meant thirst-quenching pumpkin juice, ramen noodle & tuna kimchi. In return, we bought coffee for them. 😁 I also kind of promised to invite them to my wedding in Malaysia. Have no idea where that came from, but I did it! Oh well... At least they have a reason to visit Malaysia! Hehe.

So yeah, random acts of kindness exist in Korea! 

These are partly the reasons I love to travel to different countries; To continue learning, to embrace positivity & to show that no matter what our backgrounds are, inside we are still the same. 😊

Note: I'm really getting the hang of Kimchi! 

The mysterious island Ulleung-Do...so they say, and I concur! 🙋🏻

No comments: