Hit the play button..and enjoy my hear-me-outs !

Missy Higgins - Warm Whispers

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Finding that 'something' while traveling

I remember my first traveling experience when I was 5 years old. Fortunate enough to be at one of a wildlife park in Sydney, I was offered a chance to hold a Koala bear for a pose for the camera. I was scared at the thought of something alive (and nearly half my size) clinging on to me. Trying to be brave, I put one palm on the Koala bear, and smiled at the camera.

Now and then, that simple memory always comes back to me. Never at that point, did I think that I could have a thirst to travel around the world; A yearning to meet new people, experience different surroundings and way of life others; A desire to visit other countries, and just be grateful that back in Malaysia I am blessed with so many things; A need to remind me to always be humble and be awed at the beauty of God's nature; And of course, from that Koala flashback; the courage to be brave and try new things.

In all honesty, I did not realize the meaning of traveling since day one. Nor did I embrace all of the above immediately. All I knew was that I love to travel and visit places away from home. But you see, age makes you wiser. One day, it hit me and I questioned myself "Why do I travel? What good do I get from spending money at some country to be out all day and be tired at the end of the day? How could I make traveling a way to improve myself and be closer to Allah SWT?" The last question hit me so hard. Because in Islam, everything you do is supposed to be for the good and you do it because of Allah SWT. I admit that I am not a perfect Muslim. But deep inside, there is this obligation to always try to improve myself.

This epiphany lead me to a new meaning of traveling. From that day onwards, I promised myself that this passion of traveling should lead to a good outcome. God made the people in every part of the world different for a reason. We should learn from each other; soak in all the good things from other countries or communities. What's bad could be a reminder to us and an awakening to be grateful for what we have back at home. Most importantly, it should be for the improvement of oneself.

Of course, technology made it possible for me to see and watch all of this from my own idiot box, computer or smartphone. But seeing/watching is different from being there and experiencing it yourself. Getting out of the box gives everything a whole new meaning. Trust me.

From one traveler to the next, here's a reminder: 
Travel not just because you can, but also because you want to improve yourself. And while you are at it, explore new things, take chances. Life is too short to say "I'll do it next time!"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

posting a comment bcoz of free wifi #hippietrip